William G. Finn served as associate professor in agricultural economics at the UK College of Agriculture from 1924 to 1931 before transferring to the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Washington, D.C.
He served successively in the Bureau of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Adjustment Administration and Production and Marketing Administration. During World War II, he represented the interests of agriculture on the Strategic Materials Commission and the Munitions Board.
In 1949, following the introduction of the Marshall Plan, he transferred from agriculture to the U.S. Department of State, and was assigned to the U.S. Regional Organizations for Europe, with headquarters in Paris.
In 1954, he was named Director of Food and Agriculture at the European Mission, with responsibilities for oversight on projects carried out in European member countries. He retired from government service in 1961 and returned to his residence in Maryland.
Born in Burlington, Finn graduated cum laude from UK with his Bachelor of Science degree in agriculture in 1923 and his master’s degree from Iowa State University in 1927. He also was a student in advanced agriculture studies in the Graduate School of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, 1931 to 1933. He attended George Washington University from 1934 to 1936. While studying for his degree at UK, he was a field agent for the USDA.
He served in the U.S. Army in 1918. Finn was the author of a number of publications and reports on agriculture and business.
He received the Presidential Citation for Distinguished Service to Agriculture in 1968. He was a member of Alpha Zeta and Sigma Nu fraternities, Kiwanis Club, and the American Farm Economics Association. Finn was named to the UK Hall of Distinguished Alumni in 1965.
Mr. Finn died in 1986.